It’s fun and exciting to decorate your home but it can get a little overwhelming too. The first step is to decide how you want to decorate and using patterns is a very popular way to express your personality. Patterns create a sense of style that adds color and a dramatic feel to the home. One of the great things about decorating with patterns is that they can be used with any type of décor. All you need to do is choose the ones that go with the rest of your décor.
The main types of patterns used for decorating a home include floral, motif and geometric. The floral patterns create a soft, cheery décor that brightens up the room. These create a more traditional or classical look for the home. Motif patterns can be an abstract design or a pattern created by an image that is repeated. Geometric patterns consist of stripes and checkered designs. These tend to look a little more formal than the other two types of patterns.
Here are a few tips on how to use patterns to decorate your home:
- Use patterns to accent the room and bring out the colors in the walls, rugs and other furnishings.
- When using coordinating patterns, use the same background colors.
- Use a combination of plain and textured patterns to complement each other.
- You can make the pattern the focal point of the room or it can be used as a backdrop that enhances the rest of the décor.
- Geometric patterns work great when you need to manipulate space. For example, vertical stripes can make a room appear taller while horizontal stripes will make it look wider and longer.
- The overall color scheme within the room will be the determining factor when it comes to deciding if you need to use a harmonizing or a contrasting pattern. A color wheel will help you match the colors better.
- As a general rule, rich color patterns go well with a neutral color scheme and neutral colored patterns go better with bold colored walls, drapes and furnishings.
The more you experiment with different patterns the easier it will be for you to find the designs that you like the best. Take some time to think about the patterns and the colors you plan to use and what effect you want them to have. For example, greens are used to help make a room look more spacious, reds tend to create a welcoming atmosphere and blues tend to have a calming effect. When you determine what type of mood you want set, it’ll be easier to choose the right patterns.